These math resources include links to math curriculum and reviews for grade levels Pre-K through 4th.
I have researched the links below and organized the information I found in this format:
Name of Curriculum / Grade Levels / Teaching Method / Teaching Intensity / Books Included / Versions Available / Extras Needed or Available / Other Helpful Information / My Notes on this Curriculum
(*please note: this information is based on my research found at the date of this post. Publishers are always updating and editing their curricula, so if you find any errors here, please let me know!)
- Mathematical Reasoning – Prek – 6 / Spiral / Teacher Directed / 1 Book includes teaching, workbook & answer key / Physical Book / Encourages the use of manipulatives / Supplement books available for more challenging work / This curriculum is from Critical Thinking Company. It uses logical & critical thinking concepts.
- Miquon Math – G1 – 3 / Conceptual, Mastery / Teacher Directed / 3 Teacher Books, 6 Student Books / Physical Books / Cuisenaire Rods / Teaches concepts based on the use of Cuisenaire Rods / These books are for grades 1-3, but can also be used as a supplement for older grades.
- Miquon Math – Orange Book Level 1
- Miquon Math – Red Book Level 2
- Miquon Math – Blue Book Level 3
- Miquon Math – Green Book Level 4
- Miquon Math – Yellow Book Level 5
- Miquon Math – Purple Book Level 6
- Math-U-See – Primer – Calculus / Mastery / Teacher directed for early grades, Independent for older grades / Instructor Pack includes solutions & answers and DVD, Student Pack includes workbook & tests / App version for manipulatives available / Primer – Algebra 1 uses Base 10 blocks or the App / Encourages use of manipulatives through Algebra 1 / The DVD is a critical part of this program. It helps the teacher teach the program and allows older students to work independently.
- Singapore Primary Math – G1 – 6 / Sequential / Teacher directed for lower levels, Independent when student can read / Home Instructor Guide, 2 Workbooks & 2 Textbooks per grade / Physical Book / Extra Practice Books / Uses the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract Method of teaching / There are 3 different versions available: The US Edition which is the actual Singapore version adapted to include US measurements, the US Standards Edition which is aligned to California math standards and the Common Core Edition. The Common Core edition does not include cumulative reviews as the other two editions do.
- Saxon Math – GK – 3 / Spiral / Teacher Scripted / Homestudy Kit, Meeting Book, 2 Student Books, Fact Cards / Physical Book / Manipulative Kit / Lower levels of Saxon are very teacher intensive and taught using manipulatives. These levels were not written by Stephen Hake or John Saxon, as the upper levels were.
- Saxon Intermediate – G3 – 5 / Spiral / Teacher Taught then Student Independent / Homeschool Kit includes Student Book, Solutions Manual, Power Up Workbook & Testing Book / Physical Books / Series is written by Stephen Hake / Layout of lessons are similar to the upper level Saxon Math series
- Saxon Upper Level Math – G4 – Calculus / Spiral / Independent / Homeschool Kit includes Student Book, Solutions Manual, Tests & Answer Key / Teaching DVD’s / Written by Stephen Hake & John Saxon / Saxon has 3rd and 4th editions available for the high school level texts with each of these editions being different. It is recommended that you stick with either 3rd or 4th edition and not switch between the 2 editions.
- You can read my complete breakdown and review of Saxon Math here as I explain the difference in the series and grade levels, such as what it means that they were written by different authors, how to choose the right book for upper grade levels, the difference in the teaching DVD’s and much more!
- Teaching Textbooks – G3– Pre-Calculus / Spiral / Independent / Student Book & Answer Key, Set of Discs / Lessons are taught using CD’s with problems worked out in student book / Includes an automatic grading feature and customer support
- Math Mammoth, Light Blue & Blue Series – G1 – 7 / Mastery / Independent (when they can read) / 2 Books per grade, A & B, includes Teaching, Student Book, tests, reviews, answers and a worksheet maker / CD & Downloads of extras available / Inside the books are a lot of helpful resources that includes website links and games / These books are mostly black & white with some color
- Christian Light Education – G1 -12 / Mastery / Teacher directed in early grades, Independent in upper grades / Teacher Book, Student Books come in Light Units which are 10 mini workbooks, Answer Key / Flash Cards & Manipulatives for early grades / Reference charts available / Curriculum uses flash cards & speed drills in each lesson to master math facts
- Rod & Staff Math – G1 – 8 / Traditional / Teacher Directed / Teacher Manuals, Student Book, Speed Drills, Test & Quizzes for older grades / Flash Cards used in younger grades / Emphasizes drill & memorization / This curriculum is designed for classroom use, books are black & white.
- Right Start Math – K – 8 / Conceptual & Multisensory /Teaching Intensity is heavy / Lesson Book, Worksheet Book, MathCard Games Book w/DVD / eBook for worksheets / Manipulative Kit needed for all levels / A Multisensory program that focuses on concepts using the AL Abacus / Now has a 2nd Edition available that eliminates the need for the “transition” books
- D’s Math – Pre-Algebra – Pre-Calculus / Mastery /
A great math review of Horizons, Math-U-See, Making Math Meaningful and Saxon 1st Grade curriculum’s from Frugal Fun for Boys and Girls
Singapore Math review from Kate’s Homeschool. She does a very good job of explaining Singapore; the difference in the versions, how to use it, why it works and why she likes it.