This book list coordinates with the middle ages time period. It includes classic literature, The Great Books, listings from different genres, audios, videos, and much more!
The Great Books List for Middle Ages
Reading and selecting The Great Books can be a challenging process and one not taken lightly. I have a very detailed post about The Great Books of Classic Literature that can help you learn more about these works and their authors.
PARENTS! A word of caution about some of these books — please review these books or pre-read them yourselves before handing them over to your child. Some of these books have very mature content that you may not want to expose them to you just yet. A good place to get a review is Goodreads and Amazon.
- Confessions and City of God by St. Augustine
- The Song of Roland
- The Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther
- Two Lives of Charlemagne
- Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings by Martin Luther
- The Prince by Niccolo Machiaveli
- The Divine Comedy, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III by Dante – this is also available on The Great Courses and Audible.
- The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
- Ecclesiastical History of the English People by Bede the Venerable or this version
- History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth
- Eusebius: The Church History by Eusebius
- Rule of St. Benedict in English by Timothy Fry
- Selected Writings of St. Thomas Aquinas by Thomas Aquinas
- The Lives of Thomas Becket by Michael Staunton
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by J.R.R. Tolkien or this version
- On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres by Nicolaus Copernicus
- Utopia by Thomas More
- Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin
- Starry Messenger and Two New Sciences by Galileo Galilei
- Macbeth, Henry V, King Richard III, Othello, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Romeo & Juliet (book) Romeo & Juliet (dramatized audio version) by William Shakespeare
- No Fear versions of Shakespeare – Macbeth, Henry V, King Richard III, Romeo & Juliet, Othello
- The Travels of Marco Polo by Marco Polo
- The Faerie Queen by Edmund Spenser